WHO IS HAVEN OF HOPE?
At Haven of Hope International, we believe that every child has a destiny to fulfill. Without family support, that is nearly impossible for any child – especially for an orphaned child who has experienced abuse, abandonment, and poverty. Our desire is to equip these forgotten children destined for failure with the skills to be destined for success. Our Haven of Hope program does just that: changes an orphan’s life from struggling to thriving.
Breaking the cycle of poverty and abuse for these children is not an easy task. It takes a plan that goes beyond three meals, a bed, and a roof. Our Haven of Hope model provides proven programs and strategies and have been tested for 15 years at our flagship orphanage. A place where orphans can feel valued, loved, and be restored physically, emotionally, and spiritually so they can dream and ultimately fulfill those dreams.
STRATEGIC SUSTAINABILE PROGRAMS ARE KEY.
Since 2004, Haven of Hope’s flagship orphanage – Refugio de Esperanza in Santa Cruz, Bolivia – has served more than 300 orphaned children and equipped them all with the skills needed to grow into thriving young adults, living independently and contributing to their community.
It may be difficult to understand what success looks like for orphans compared to how success looks for children raised in a caring family environment. In reality, they are not too different when an orphan grows up in a Haven of Hope environment.
We measure the overall impact and success of the Haven of Hope model similar to how schools measure success: preparing each child for graduation and successful independent living. For orphans, this means making certain they do not return to a life on the street and poverty. Our results over the past 15 years are shown below.
99% of Refugio de Esperanza children leave the orphanage with:
- A Bolivian high school degree (In Bolivia, 33% of first graders complete the fifth grade and 20% start secondary school.)
- Computer and English skills to successfully compete in academic and vocational arenas
- Vocational skills in a career field that fits their interests and special talents
- Connections with local resources and programs based on their career field
- Transitional living skills, including financial and time management to successfully move from the orphanage campus to living independently in their community
- A bank account to get them started from money they earned through participation in the orphanage’s “Products of Hope” sustainability program
At Haven of Hope International, we believe that with our model of orphan care, every child can fulfill his or her destiny.